Friday, April 25, 2003

Rapu-Rapu Island

This is my first time to step on your shore
And see for myself the island 'so quiet' according to Boyski.
But lo and behold, I found yes, a quiet island
And yet exuding a charm on its own.

Contrary to my expectations
I found you full of contrasts
On one side, a de-forested area with no sign of people living within
On the other, a secondary growth forest with scattered villages along the coast

From the coast, you seem to be just like any other island
And yet I can feel that there is more to you than meets the eye.
I was surprised at how beautiful your forest is
Or how can a river run so exquisitely.

Or have those big geological rocks that were carved by a master artist
Or know that underneath your surface
Lies the most sought after base metals in the world
These contrasting features give you that uniqueness

Your beauty, I think lies not in your external features
Or just what your see from a boat
But to go beyond the shore and discover your inner world!
And that is partly the reason for my being here today!


Rapu Rapu Island is located north of Lagonoy Gulf, southwest of Pacific Ocean and
east of Albay Gulf. It is an island very rich in mineral resources (gold, silver, copper and zinc). I was in Rapu Rapu for a few days back in 1999.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home