Tuesday, May 06, 2003

A journey to my past

Visiting Spain last April 2001 was one dream fulfilled. I had been planning, plotting and arranging to visit Spain since 1998, when the Philippines was celebrating its centennial celebration as an independent nation. I, together with 3 other colleagues and friends at De La Salle University got a project from the Spanish government to do an evaluation of their project in the Province of Camiguin (one of the southern island provinces of the Philippines). We thought that with the money we got from this project, we should be able to go and visit Spain after submitting the final report. Lo and behold, the only place we were able to visit out of this project was Camiguin, which turned out to be as memorable and also a beautiful island province with seven volcanoes, several hot and cold springs and an underwater church.

Going back to Spain, I was so happy to learn that part of my orientation in my new job here was a trip to this country for two weeks. I never felt so excited and so happy. But of course all these feelings I had to downplay lest I wake up and find it is just a dream.

Well, it was not a dream. It really did happen. The only thing I did not like, is again, the fact that despite the advisory from various web sites that it is supposed to be spring in Spain already, it was not. It was still very much like winter alternating between 5 during the day and 0 degrees at night. And it was raining as well all over Spain, from Valencia to Madrid to Toledo.

I think I am really destined never to see Europe in spring only autumn and winter. Never mind, at least I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream.

Visiting Spain was like going back to my roots. Having been a colony for four hundred years (yes, four century) of Spain meant that a big part of our culture and our way of life is similar to theirs. I was very much reminded of this the moment I stepped on its airport where I was forced to recall and utter Spanish in stilted voice as I tried to ask how to go from the international airport to the domestic airport.

My visit was also significant as Real Madrid (which will turn out to be my favorite of all European football teams) was celebrating its 100 years as a football club, so memorable as well.

Valencia, the first city I saw was not that cosmopolitan and so quiet and serene. I think it did not help that I arrived on Easter Sunday, which meant that as a Catholic country, all families in Valencia were at home, observing and enjoying this religious holiday. It is also here that I had one of the shocking truths about Spanish life: they do not eat dinner earlier than 9 PM. Ayyoo, my first night was spent trying my best to hold back the pangs of hunger until one of the local restaurants open at exactly 9 PM. Of course, we spent another hour ordering and waiting for the food to be prepared and cooked. So next night and all the nights I was in Spain, I made sure I have eaten some food in the afternoon to last me until dinner starts.

I tried to inquire the main reason for this late dinner and was told different versions. One version says that the Spanish do not eat early because they always watch first football between 7 until 9 PM. Which means that they are all glued to the TV, so no one eats before the game is over. Does this mean then that all those players from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Real Mallorca and other Spanish football clubs also do not eat? Oh poor guys, running around Bernebeu Stadium without any food in their stomach. Or are these players the only ones allowed to eat dinner before 9 because they have to kick the ball hard?

But can you imagine if your team loses? I would not have a good appetite then for dinner. Perhaps this is why I saw quite a good number of Spanish men and women skinny.

Or perhaps like us, Filipinos, they eat merienda sena (or afternoon snack food). Actually, I think this was one of the things we inherited from them. That is why we Filipinos eat five times a day: breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, after dinner snack (while watching our favorite TV shows).

The other version was that as Spanish are not that known to be punctual and they always start work later than the rest anywhere, then they also go home quite late, which means they could only start dinner at 9.

Well whatever it is, it sure was one of the kicks of this trip. Imagine being so hungry and so cold at the same time. Well that was how I looked and felt most of the time while I was in Spain.

But the best thing about Spain is really all the sites. From the Real Madrid (Royale Palace) to the El Escoriel to the walled cities and the preserved ‘middle finger’ of St. Theresa of Avila, everything looks very similar to some of our architectural designs in the Philippines, most especially the Catholic churches.

The visit to Spain was part of the completion of my journey to my past. And from there I moved on to visit other countries (India, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Indonesia), all different and all of these visits as memorable as the rest.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home