Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Finding the right partner to travel with

Some people say I am quite fortunate to have traveled far and wide, not only in my own country but to other countries as well. But in most of these travels, I was alone, with no companion to even talk with while waiting to get inside the plane much less someone to hold hands with when the plane takes off. Now that is what I call really an unfortunate situation to be in.

Unfortunate because I think I must have missed out on a lot of fun stuff related to traveling with someone. When I say someone, this can either be a he or a she, a colleague or a friend (most of the time can be both) or a partner. Anyway, one very good friend I traveled with on a business trip from Manila to Marinduque, which is an island province 3 hours away by boat. Another very good friend I traveled with on a holiday trip to Cebu City and Bohol. Well we were not actually alone (as a couple) as we traveled together with two other friends. This one was more fun and more romantic. But of course, it was not enough to sustain the relationship. At least I know how it feels to hold your partner's hands while the plane is taking off and touching down. As this was the first plane ride I took after I developed that fear of flying, his reassuring clasp was more than enough to make me survive the flight.

Anyway, I have found out from traveling that having at least one travel companion is more fun than traveling with a group of friends. When I went to Hong Kong in 1998, I traveled with 3 other female friends. It was a near disaster as we almost gave up on each other and even thought of saying goodbye to each other as friends. From that time, I told myself 'never again' will I travel with a group of friends. After two days, we were practically finding it hard to be civil to one another.

So next time I traveled with someone, I went with a very good female friend to Boracay. Remember Boracay from an earlier posting? Now this was more fun and lots of wonderful memories. Unfortunately, our plan to travel again together to Palawan (the island province known as the last frontier because of its very good biodiversity) came to naught as we could not find a common schedule.

After her, I never found again another soulmate as far as traveling. Until this very energetic, always on the go, wandering soul from Barcelona joined the Foundation. Instantly, we connected as we realized that we both have a penchant for going to new places, be it here in Singapore or outside of it. Aha, at last a perfect travel companion. No frills, cost saver, she epitomizes what I have always wanted to find in a travel partner. First time, we took off and explored Malacca. Next we went and hid ourselves from SARS-affected Singapore and went to Bintan. She is near perfect anyway!

Well, I hope she would remain in Singapore for a little while. At least with her around, I would most probably be able to visit Bali, which I have always been dreaming about as well as some other islands of Malaysia. But since she has used up all her leaves for this year, we would have to wait for another long weekend unless she decides to forego a day's pay. Well if she remains true to herself, then she would most likely do the latter option.

Anyway, we both have two moles on our left foot, something we both agree is a good excuse to travel again together soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home