Saturday, September 08, 2007

Tour guide in Singapore (part 1)




Being a constant traveler (as my friend Meann calls me), I like it when friends from overseas come and visit me here in Singapore. I always try to find time for them to take them around to see this tiny beautiful city state I now call home (at least for a while).

My visitor today was Gay. I met Gay when I was still a student. She was already working then. Then at some point we became colleagues, working for the same organization. She was my supervisor. Back then I thought she was much older than me. Only the past few years I realized that it was because of her maturity that she seemed so much older but in actual fact, she was only a few years older than me. At some point our paths diverged. But we managed to at least know where each other is. From her I have learned a few things in life. I learned to always remember friends birthdays. Though I have never managed to emulate her passion for always giving a gift to everyone. She has this trunk full of gifts for people she likes and that are important to her. She never forgets important occasions.

From her as well I learned that it is important to love myself and how to live and remain strong in this beautiful but sometimes cruel and unfair world. She is one person I like to remain a friend and to maintain some connection even though we live in different countries or even different timezones (in the future).

So today I met her and together we walked around Singapore, or at least the more interesting parts of it, from Chinatown to Boat Quay, then we crossed over to the Esplanade, viewed the Merlion from afar and then finished with a coffee at Starbucks (her favorite coffee) at Suntec City.

I must say I had fun and I am sure she had too. It is always good to reciprocate the hospitality and generosity I always get from friends I have visited with those friends or even friends of friends of mine who come here for a few days.
Anyway I believe life is a circle, meaning what you give will be returned back to you tenfold. And it makes life more meaningful and this journey more interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home